Thursday, August 18, 2005

8/15/05 Proof Sheet


As requested, these are the images I shot for my daily self portrait on Monday. I chose the first one and almost chose the second one because my face wasn't discernable in either. This beauty thing pisses me off because I allow my fabricated ideas of it rule me instead of just accepting who I am. Imogen Cunningham has a quote somewhere stating how she wasn't a great beauty, but her work sure was. Any thoughts on what beauty is?

2 comments:

Quinn Jacobson said...

Very nice. I like the ability to see "behind the scenes" - a peek under the kimono, if you will. It speaks volumes to me.

Beauty, man that is a huge questions. Wikipedia says this: Beauty is the phenomenon of the experience of pleasure, through the perception of balance and proportion of stimulus. It involves the cognition of a balanced form and structure that elicits attraction and appeal towards a person, animal, inanimate object, scene, music, idea, etc.

Great job! I like the last frame the best.

Unknown said...

Caron,
Thank you for commenting so frequently on my blog. I'm sorry that I haven't said anything on yours so I thought that I'd take this opportunity to say how impressed I am with what you are doing. I find it interesting that you and I are tackling the same project, but we both are coming from different directions.
Beauty? I agree with Quinn that this is a huge question. Is beauty a matter of taste or is there an actual standard that can measure beauty? What I find fascinating about beauty is that it is a malleable concept that doesn't have a definitive shape. It can change over time as we have seen by looking at art history. Reubens loved his girls big and meaty, while Parmigianinno (sp?) and other mannerists exaggerated their models into being long, thin figures.
Pleasure working with you Caron. Thanks for the great idea! I'm in blogland now!