Wednesday, August 31, 2005

8/31/05 Self Portrait of the Day



Remnants of Katrina. Gas to go up $1.20/gallon within a week's time because gulf coast refineries were hit in storm. Daughter starting school in a new school district this week. First packet is done.

Yeah, like I really have problems. Relax, Caron, at least you have a home to go to. Nothing like getting hit with a dose of perspective.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Caron!
I just wanted to let you know that I'm still checking out your blog daily too! I'm just ridiculously buzy with school starting and packet one due date approaching... thanks for the Francis Bacon reference...believe it or not it was totally an unconscious decision, but i had just finished reading a chapter about Freud and Bacon. Crazy how that sort of stuff happens.
Your posting about rituals really struck a chord with me, because i think that it's such an interesting cultural phenomenon to look into. You'll have to tell me sometime how you upload all of those images at once. It makes for a really interesting dialogue between each piece.
So what else are you doing besides this self-portrait project? I'd love to see anything if you're willing to show.
alright well talk to you later Caron,
Much Goddard Love,
Dan

Quinn Jacobson said...

Good point. It's a great time for a reality check for everyone. It totally convicts me to think about my "rationality" about why I don't do more to help humanity/people. It's saddens me to think about how self-absorbed we get and how out of touch we are about the suffering and pain in the world.

When was the last time I gave of myself? Have I given (or helped them get) someone shelter, food, medical care or education? Have I shown selfless compassion and love? What do I value and how does that manifest itself in my life? Or am I just a self-absorbed bastard? (I think the latter). The revolution starts now.

Caron, these are nice images (the last two). They are very thoughtful and poetic to me.