Wednesday, August 17, 2005

8/17/05 Self Portrait of the Day

1 comment:

Quinn Jacobson said...

I've been thinking a lot about "truth" in photography. How we construct images and manipulate them to suit our "vision" of how we should look or what the image should say. It's not unlike text and writing. We write, read and edit. We massage the message until it's "right." (like I'm doing with this) It all comes back to this identity thing. Our personal identity, one few people get to see or experience, and our social identity. The social identity is the one we try to manipulate and mold into what we think people will love and accept, or hate and abhor (or be shocked by), regardless, it's about attention and ultimately about acceptance. The tension between the two is what I am interested in questioning through my images.

Back to the point; there is never any real "truth" in an image. There is only subjective or relative truth. You should let the audience see all of the images you shoot to get the one you like. Post a contact sheet or unedited images. I think that would be interesting to see.

I'm getting a lot from your project here and Dan's. I thank you and applaud both of you!